Saturday, September 26, 2015

Broken Brake Blues

We put the Pontiac in the shop on Thursday because it was making a horrid scraping noise and one of the drive shaft boots was missing the retaining clip, which had splattered grease all over the backside of the front passenger wheel.  They replaced the drive shaft as I had requested, then mentioned that the brakes were grinding metal (thus the horrid scraping noise).

Well, I can fix brakes on my own, so didn't bother having them charge me for the labor on that. Now I'm wishing I would've had them do it for me. I didn't intend on spending so much time on it!

Started up early this morning, pulling the caliper brackets and pads off. Sure enough, the inner pads on both front brakes were worn down to the metal. Oddly enough, only the inner pads; the outer pads were fine. Hmmm.

Checked the caliper bracket pins. Lower ones were frozen solid, rusted. OK, simple enough to replace. Took 'em to NAPA for core and got new ones. Plus new pins. Plus mounting clips. Asked 'em if they could check the rotors, but they didn't have a mechanic available on Saturday. Suggested I try their store on the other side of town.

So I drove to the other side of town and handed the rotors to the guy across the counter, who measured 'em with the calipers and shook his head. "Too far gone," he said. Not a problem, says I. Just give me new ones.  Which he did.

Took it all home and started putting it together. It was early afternoon by then, nearly three. Got it all put together by five. Took it for a quick test spin. Something wrong. Something is grinding. Back on the jacks, pulled the tire off, flipped the pads on the driver side brake, put it all back together again, took it for another test spin. Much, much better, but now it's got a rhythmic rumbling whenever I push the brakes at low speed, the kind of noise that comes from a rotor that isn't polished. What's up with that? I just got these!

Back to my garage, but I've run out of time to work on this issue. Got to pick up Deb at work by 7, then get some dinner, then work on my lesson for tomorrow. And I still have basement work to do.

The good news for today was that the cabinets for the basement kitchenette were delivered. Now they're sitting in the garage just waiting for the rest of the basement to catch up. Electrical, drywall, paint. Coming soon.

No comments: