Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Show Must Go On

Friday night was the culmination of a week of intensity and anxiety. Can I combine those and call it intenxiety? Or anxensity?

Whatever you want to call it, the moment the Marching Band instruments were all packed away after the performance, I felt an overwhelming calm and peace come over me like a blanket. Unlike the wet misty blanket of rain that was falling all over everything else.

The rain felt good. My brain and muscles were hot and bothered.

But I'm getting ahead of myself again.

You already know about the fiasco with the podium rails (unless you haven't been reading the blog, in which case you might want to go back a few posts and read about it).  And the fiasco with the tractors not starting. So I was keyed up all week in anticipation of further failure.

It didn't help that I started feeling ill Friday afternoon. At work. Like, feverish and achy.

But there were places to go, things to do, preparations to be made!

First stop was Sears to pick up the lawn mower air filter. Because, for some odd reason, they don't run well when they're all clogged up. While there at the mall, I visited the little shoppe where Adam is working. Cute little half-store, barely wider than the door, stocked full of little bottles of olive oil and other tasty things. Smelled good. It was a bit weird that no one was standing out in the middle of the store waiting for customers, though. Two people were there, but they were in the back playing with the computer or something.

Ran home to change clothes (off with the fancy shirt, on with the Pit Crew T-shirt), grab a few tools, and head over to the school. One of my crew met me there at 4:30 and we started putting up cones (for parking lot safety) and pulling out the tractors. Put in the air filter, checked that they both started (they did!), then the rest of the crew started showing up and we pulled out the carts and things.

We picked up the newly-recovered rail from the band office and loaded all the podiums onto a cart and took them out to the stadium to set them up. Roped off the Band section in the bleachers. Then back to the trailer to help the kids load up the instruments. When they were ready, my drivers took both tractors with their tractor-loads to the stadium and the band marched over and we patiently waited for the game to start.

The rain actually held off awhile so the band was able to do their complete show at half-time. But the director told us to get the instruments back to the trailer right afterwards, and it's a good thing he did -- because the rain started coming down heavy right after we had everything back in the trailer.

And now that everything was packed away and all the kids were going home with their parents and there was nothing else to stress about, it was time for me to go home and relax for awhile.

Until next week.

2 comments:

virginia said...

And did you get to relax? It sounds like you deserve some real time for just yourself. I hope this week is going well for you.

The Meyer Family said...

There will be no relaxing allowed until the basement is done. That is my Sacred Quest. The plumbers finished up on Monday, now I need to finish the electrical and get the pre-drywall inspections done. We're hiring some drywallers to get that done ASAP so we can get the final inspection done before guests begin arriving in October.

This has been hanging over my head so long now I don't think I know how to relax.