Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Sweet Sixteen

What an interesting day we've had today!

It started out rotten. The red Subaru (Ruby) overheated while I was taking Mary to her zero-hour class at 6 a.m. I managed to get it home after stopping a couple times to let it cool off, but it was nerve-wracking. After last winter's van debacle, I'm very anxious about cars becoming immobile on public road, but I also didn't want to take a chance that the engine was going to seize up on me, not when there's a tight schedule. Deb needed to be at school by 7 and Cheryl needed to at school not long after that, and I needed to be at work by 7:30, so there was an intense desire to get the car home so at least we wouldn't have to deal with a tow truck. And we could figure out the problem later, when there was more time.

As it was, Cheryl ended up taking Deb to school and I went off to work because we have a big customer demo today. And the lab is a bit of a mess. Lots of prep work to do, cleaning up the lab, dry-running all the software before the real show begins, watching over the demo to make sure everything goes all right, then switching over to another lab where we are packing up a flight simulator cockpit to send to a trade show exhibit in Washington, D.C. Took me til after 5 p.m. before I could leave, and then only because Cheryl had sent me a message that the family was going out to eat for Mary's birthday at 5:30!

Mary, the cosmopolitan one, decided that her birthday dinner would be at Haru, a local sushi place. It was absolutely delicious. Deb didn't think she liked sushi until she tried it, and then she was all over it! Another successful conversion! (This is all James's fault, by the way.) This may turn out to be on ongoing family tradition...

Then it was time to head home for some birthday cake. Which hadn't been made yet. So I had a little bit of time to get under the hood of the red subaru and try to figure out what was going on. I managed to pull the radiator out, but didn't find anything obviously wrong with it. Guess I'll have to run a water check on it tomorrow.

Ran out of time, so went back in the house and ate cake with the family and watched Mary open her birthday cards. She was quite pleased with the attention. And can't wait to go to the Mall and spend some money on some new outfits. And books. Mostly books, I think.

Me, I can't wait to shut my eyes and try to catch up on some sleep. It's been a long day.

No comments: