Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Learning to Lawn

Today's funny story. A young man with the Marching Band, trying to earn money for the upcoming trip to Florida (i.e. Disney). Asks if he can mow our lawn. Well, why not? No one else is interested in doing it.

So he comes over to mow the lawn. Using my lawn mower. And my weed eater. Does a fantastic job in the back yard. Then comes around to the front. Figures out he needs to add a little gas. Goes into the garage.

Grabs the wrong gas can. The one with the gas/oil mix. Which is clearly marked, "FOR SNOWBLOWER ONLY".

I guess he doesn't know what a snowblower is.

From the front porch, where I'm unraveling the electric cord for the weed eater, I catch him out of the corner of my eye, carrying a red can back into the garage. It doesn't look like the right one, so I go ask him, "Did you just fill up the mower? Which can did you use?"

He points to the one with the gas/oil mix. Which is clearly marked, "FOR SNOWBLOWER ONLY".

I ask, "Didn't you see the writing on it?"

He looks down at it.

"Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't see the 'S' there."

Huh?

"I thought it said 'FOR NOWBLOWER ONLY'".

Now I'm really confused. How does 'nowblower' equate to 'lawnmower'?

Never mind. He's a teenager. Hormonal overflow probably distorts the Language circuits of the brain.

Fifteen minutes and one siphoning operation later, the lawn mower is running again.

But ...

He tried using the weed eater for about five minutes (while I was siphoning the lawn mower) and managed to get it completely snarled. So after I get the lawn mower running again, I move on to debugging the weed eater. Which turns out to be completely pointless.

Not only is the weed eater line tightly wound around the motor shaft, it's also used up.

I give up. The lawn is good enough. It's getting late, the mosquitoes are out. I'm ready to head indoors. I pay the young man out and go inside where it is cool.

We'll try again next week.

2 comments:

virginia said...

So just teach the girls to use the weedeater (with proper safety equipment) and they can appreciate the extra change you save. We have two or three weedeaters and none of them work well. I have a battery one that won't charge anymore, an electric one the Roy had all apart the other day but was able to get it working, and a gas one that I don't think we have ever used.
Sorry about yours.

Jeanne said...

I have a weedeater that attaches to a 4-wheel base for mowing our little grass patch. Not the prettiest job of mowing, mind you, but better than the push mower. It is a pain though, having to rethread the thing every time I turn around.