Friday, September 11, 2015

Just Can't Help It

It's in my blood. I just gotta build stuff.

Every year, the Marching Band Pit Crew gets a project or two from the band or the color guard, usually something innocuous like percussion cabinets or drum stands. This year, the color guard asked us to come up with something to store and/or carry their flags in. They currently have to carry them all in their hands, to and from the school. Very tedious.

We thought about purchasing some fancy flag-carrying cases, but those generally run in the hundreds-of-dollars range, and our budget for the entire year is a lot less than that. So this is our chance to come up with something clever and cheap and quick.

My idea looks something like this:

I'm thinking of getting some 1x2 strips at the lumber yard to make most of it, slapping on a couple hinges and a latch, then maybe covering it with thin plastic or canvas. It doesn't have to be super-resilient, just do the job. And survive one season. I figure we'll try it out this year and see how things go.

Naturally, I had to prototype it. And I had just the thing to try it on: a cheap rolling clothes rack kit we bought a few years back when I was helping with the middle school musical. It consists of lots of poles, and we don't have anything to carry all the pieces around in.

Til now.


I didn't put a back or front on it yet, or a real hinge. Just duct tape. 'Cause that's the way I roll with my prototypes. I might slap some cardboard on it for a back, then do something different with the lid. But not tonight.

No comments: