Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Snow Day

First snow day we've had this season. And it's a tad too early for my taste, given that it isn't even Thanksgiving. But one doesn't argue with the weather.

The snow keeps falling. And falling. And falling. There's a foot or two on the driveway; I haven't bothered to try shoveling it until today, just barely managing to brush off the cars every morning when everyone leaves for work/school. Why bother cleaning off the driveway when it's just going to keep coming? Besides, it's the really dry snow so it's relatively good traction even on top. If it was getting close to freezing, there'd be slush and that's an entirely different equation insofar as traction is concerned.

I still had to work today, but did my working from home. Can't say that much got accomplished, but probably more than would get done if I'd braved the roads to try to get to work. Too much worrying about the traffic can be such a distraction!

Deb was in a "mood" this afternoon, so we watched the original Back to the Future and I was amazed (again) at the language in that movie. Still don't remember it being so caustic when we first saw it back in '85. But the rest of it is still funny. Although the contradictions still bother me.

James got home in a very bad mood because the windshield wipers weren't doing their job of keeping the snow off. Around here, they have to be replaced every year because we go through such temperature extremes and the rubber dries out in the summer and then the snow / ice cakes up on them in the winter and they're useless. So I pulled some out of my stock from last year and they should work fine for the rest of the season. Not sure if they'll still be good in the summer.

Cleaned off the cars again, while I was out there. This is getting ridiculous. I don't even bother with those snow brushes, the ones that combine a scraper with a brush. I just broom off the cars and call it good. The snow is so light and airy (since it's only 20 degrees F) it just brushes off anyway. Haven't had to scrape the windows much this season, maybe once or twice.

No comments: